Bancroft is a village in Shiawassee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. Bancroft was platted in 1877 when the railroad was extended to that point. The settlement took its name from the Bancroft Mining Company. A post office has been in operation since 1877 and Bancroft was incorporated as a village in 1883. The population was 545 at the 2010 census.